Sunday, July 31, 2011

Patriotic Intentions


Ok, so this will show how behind I am in blogging...I had this idea that I would make these patriotic cake balls for the 4th of July. I got all the ingredients for red, white, and blue cake balls to make a fantastic and delicious cake ball flag:)

I made the cake, crumbled it, and added the frosting.

Mixed it and chilled it.

I rolled it all.

I made a double boiler and started with the red chocolate.

I rolled the first few balls.

I had a few that came out okay, but looked really lumpy and not at all smooth like the ones my friends make or that I see online or in bakeries:(

So, I thought oh well, I will make the blue ones next. The only blue I could find was an aqua. I decided to add food coloring the darken it a bit. Well, I found out that you can not use water based food coloring with this chocolate because it gets really clumpy and does not work AT ALL! Then, I got discouraged and stopped to clean up the big mess I had already made.

The few cake balls that I did finish tasted good, but left a lot to be desired in the looks department.

I think I will stick to using the candy quick for my coating for now on. It is so much easier to work with and they look a lot better:)

No comments: